Welcome back! The new academic year has begun for most, and we’re so excited to welcome primary and secondary schools, NCS and youth groups from all over the UK to our Centre over the coming months.
If you are due to come to Mount Cook for a residential or activity day, here are some top tips to ensure you get the most of your experience:
1. Be brave and try new things: We believe that people are capable of more than they think! Before saying “no” to something straight away, it is so important to give it a try first. This could include climbing to the top of Black Rocks, jumping into Carsington Water, making new friends or even trying new food!
2. Set yourself a personal goal: Before you arrive, think about what you would like to get out of your Mount Cook experience. Maybe you would like to improve your time-keeping, overcome a fear of heights, or develop your communication skills. Achieving personal goals will help to boost your self-confidence, and recognise your own ability and competence!
3. Enjoy being outdoors: Mount Cook is in one of the most beautiful rural landscapes of the UK. Embrace the great outdoors, appreciate the beauty of your surroundings and leave technology behind.
4. Be curious and ask questions: There’s a famous Chinese proverb - “He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes; he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever”. We want you to come to Mount Cook brimming with curiosity and motivated to learn something new!
5. Be a team player: Be open to innovative ideas and fresh ways of approaching a situation or a problem. A team that works effectively together is stronger than individuals working alone.
6. Have lots of fun: One of the most important pieces of advice we can give you is to smile, remember to laugh and have fun. If you do these things, you will create some fantastic memories which will stay with you for life.
7. Celebrate your achievements: Pat yourself on the back, congratulate your team members and give your group a round of applause. Acknowledge the efforts and hard-work put in by your team, and always remember the good times!